The Institute of Cultural Heritage of the Academy of Sciences of Moldova is the main research institution which organizes and conducts investigations in the domains of Archaeology, Ethnology and Art Studies.
Having at its disposal high/qualified personnel, the Institute performs>
- field surveys regarding the detection, registration and investigation of the archaeological, ethno-cultural and artistic heritage;
- analytical and generalizing research in all the fields connected to archaeology and ancient history, ethnography and ethnology, folk and modern arts;
- preparation of studies, which popularize historical, archaeological, ethno-cultural and artistic heritage, of educational books and special courses;
- publication of archaeological, ethnographical, cultural and artistic materials, comprehensive, popularizing and didactic studies;
- training young specialists (competitors, post-graduators, expertise and conduction of academic theses) in the fields of Archaeology and Ancient History, Ethnology and Cultural Anthropology, Plastic Arts and Audiovisuals;
- organization of national and international scientific conferences and symposia;
- TV and radio documentary series, special courses, expertise of archaeological, cultural, historical, modern and historical art sites and items, presentations of books ant thematic expositions.
Al the above-mentioned activities can be executed, in part or completely, and by the initiative of institutions and particular persons from the country and abroad, on the basis of cooperation contracts.
The Institute of Cultural Heritage (ICH) was created in the year of 2006 (registry certificate MD 0059524 0f 9th august 2006) as a result of the reorganization of the research institutes of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Moldova, in conformity with the Republic of Moldova Governments Decision nr. 1326 from 14.12.2005 “On the optimizations of infrastructure and innovation in the scientific sphere”. The Institute was formed through the integration of three earlier existing institutions: the Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography, the Institute of Interethnic Studies and the Institute of Art Studies. In the same year of 2006 ICH was accredited by the National Council for Accreditation and Attestations; reaccredited by the National Council for Accreditation and Attestations in 2013 (Accreditation Certificate nr. 034 of 20.07.2013).
The Institute of Cultural Heritage represents the main academic organization inside the country, which has its main goal studying and revival of the cultural heritage, which is incorporated in three relatively independent scientific domains – Archaeology, Ethnology and Art Studies. The main research direction of the Institute is fully represented by the formula “Genesis, evolution and peculiarity of the archaeological, ethno-cultural and artistic heritage of the Republic of Moldova”.
According to the peculiarity of the research domain, the Institute of Cultural Heritage consist of tree scientific Centers: Archaeological Centre, Ethnological Centre, Art Studies Centre. Each of these Centers includes two sections, which consist of a certain number pf Sector or thematic Groups.
Today the Institute of Cultural heritage includes a staff of 125 officers. The scientific potential of the Institute consists of 95 researches, of which 55 hold a Phd degree and 11 hold the scientific degree of dr. hab. (including two members of the academy).
Over 26 young researchers are performing their Phd research of the Institute. Their research topics are structured conforming to the following branches:
613.01 – Archaeology,
612.01 – Ethnology,
622.01 – Studies in universal and comparative literature,
651.01 – Visual arts,
653.01 – Musicology;
654.01 – Audiovisuals arts.
Within the Institute of Cultural Heritage are performing their activities:
- The scientific Seminar and the scientific Council specialized in the assertion of the dr. and dr. hab. in historical sciences thesis, branch Archaeology;
- The scientific Seminar and the scientific Council specialized in the assertion of the dr. and dr. hab. in historical sciences thesis, branch Ethnology;
- The scientific Seminar and the scientific Council specialized in the assertion of the dr. and dr. hab. in historical sciences thesis, branch Audiovisuals arts (theatrology, choreographic art, cinematographic art and TV),
- The scientific Seminar and the scientific Council specialized in the assertion of the dr. and dr. hab. in historical sciences thesis, branch Visuals arts and Architecture.
The Institute of Cultural Heritage publishes, in accordance with the activities of the three Centers in its composition, three scientific series: “Archaeological Journal”; “Ethnology and Culturology Journal”; “Revue Art: Visual Arts and Audiovisuals”.